Two Robbed At Gunpoint After Online Sales Meet 8-30-2016
Date/Time: Monday, August 29th, 2016 at 6:45PM
Location: Pine Grove Apartments (Front of E Building), 255 Webbs Lane, Dover
Officer Releasing Information: M/Cpl. Mark Hoffman, Public Information Officer
The Dover Police Department is seeking William Loper (24), following a robbery in front of Pine Grove Apartments E Building on Monday evening. At approximately 6:45PM, two victims met Loper in front of the building with the intent on purchasing a phone. They connected through an online re-sale app. Upon arrival, Loper pointed a handgun at one of the victims and demanded their belongings. The victims gave cash, watches, and a cell phone to Loper, who then fled. Loper is currently wanted on the following charges:
-Robbery 1st Degree
-Possession of Deadly Weapon During Commission of a Felony
-Possession of Firearm by Person Prohibited
-Terroristic Threatening (2x)
The Dover Police Department would like to remind people that the department allows the use of the parking lot, front entrance, and surrounding areas of the police department for online sales meets. Buyers and sellers may also utilize the porch area of the front entrance to the police department under the overhang, but must not hinder the anyone’s ability to enter or exit the department. Please keep in mind that the department nor any of its employees will act as a witness to a sale or be involved in any agreements or civil matters involving sales once completed. The Dover Police Department is simply allowing a safe haven for sales to take place without interrupting police operations or access to police services. The Dover Police Department is also sharing the following tips for those who choose not to use the designated department locations:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe, shopping center parking lot, etc.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
- Consider making high-value exchanges at your local police station.
- Tell a friend or family member where you’re going or when you’re having a buyer/seller in your home.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts.